Part of being a homeowner is making sure that your roof stays in good shape. Your roof is exposed to sun, rain, and wind – all which will inevitably cause wear and damage over time. Because your roof is such an important part of your home, you’ll need to inspect it on a regular basis and then make decisions based on what you find.
In some cases, it can be hard for homeowners to determine whether they need a new roof installed or if they simply need to have it repaired. It’s no secret that replacing a roof is a significant expense, and the condition of the roof will help determine the value of your home should you decide to sell it.
When to Repair Your Roof
- If your roof is leaking in one small area, odds are, a repair will be sufficient. This is especially the case if your roof isn’t very old. The cost of this repair will depend on various factors.
- If shingles are missing, whether you repair or replace will depend on how extensive the damage is. A few shingles can be replaced, but if a large percentage of your roof is missing shingles, it’s likely time to replace the entire roof.
- If your roof’s shingles are worn, it may be possible to simply replace the top layer of shingles. Be warned, however, that this option may not always be the right choice, especially if you plan to live in your home for several more years. The new layer likely will not last as long as it would if the entire roof were replaced, and this fix won’t add to your home’s value the way a new roof would.
When to Replace Your Roof
- If your roof is showing signs of decay, it may be a better option to just replace it, especially if you plan to live in your home for a long time.
- If you are experiencing leaks and your roof is getting older, it may be a worthy investment to completely replace it.
- If you want to make a significant change to your home’s appearance, a new roof can do just that. You can choose from a very wide range of colors, textures, and materials to customize your home.
Call for Your Free Estimate
The only way to know for sure whether you need a new roof or a repair job is to contact DeKalb Roofing Company. We’ll come out to your home, make a recommendation, and provide you with a free, fair estimate. Your roof is a major part of your home, so don’t let a problem with it go for too long – contact us today.